the internets are all aglow with hub-bub surrounding Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight series. For those cave-dwellers out there, the (currently) four-book series is about a “vegetarian” vampire (Edward) and the girl he loves (Bella). and also some wolves (Jacob, the main wolf-interest). and bad vampires. i decided to go ahead and read the books since *everyone* is talking about them and i might as well know what they are talking about.
before starting the list portion, i will say that i enjoyed the books. they are fun, action-filled reads. they’re written for teenagers, though, and it shows. Bella and Edward’s (and Jacob’s, for that matter) relationship is scary. SCARY.
Warning: SPOILERS IN THE LIST
So, those who have read this collection, what have we learned from it?
- The difference between a stalker and a boyfriend is reciprocated interest.
- Codependency is romantic. (Jayda)
- It’s okay to date someone who wants to kill you, as long as they love you enough to promise not to. (Emily)
- Silver Volvos are sexy?! (Tif)
- Vampires are, essentially, twisted versions of resurrected bodies: live forever, beautiful, indestructible, resembling their original (pre-eternal) bodies, powerful… but they have to drink blood.
- A good boyfriend will totally understand if you are in love with another guy… at the same time… as you’re engaged to your boyfriend.
- Friendship means smothering a person with presents, clothes, and parties that person neither wants nor likes.
- Kissing rock is fun.
- Being aggressively molested by your friend should be taken in stride.
- Romantic love is to be worshiped above all other loves.
- It’s totally okay to manipulate every guy around you as long as you a. dont know you’re doing it and/or b. are severely depressed.
- Vampires can waste gobs of money on disposable designer clothes, BUT it’s important to reuse decorative lights for your parties. “Waste not, want not!” — Alice (Carrie)
- If you are feeling low, (Bella) it’s okay to use someone you know has feelings for you (Jake) to make yourself feel better. (Ameera)